Thursday, November 13, 2014

One year

Today marks the 1 year anniversary.

Not of a date that I technically want to go back and relive by any means, but one that has brought a lot of growth and learning to my family. 

One year ago today, I was sitting at home after school watching TV when my phone rang. My aunt Kena was on the other line explaining what she knew had just happened, & in that short one minute phone call my world had felt like it flipped upside down. 


She told me that my dad had been in a terrible falling accident working on our shed, had lost consciousness for we don't know how long, & that the ambulance was on their way. She said that's all she knew but that I would get updates on what was happening in a little while. 


Luckily I was sitting down when that call came because I quickly lost all strength and began sobbing like anyone would after knowing your dad had been in an accident like that. JD rushed home from the U, I called Brett, and just had to wait. 


Over the course of waiting, I had learned that he had fallen backwards and had hit his head very hard even though we didn't know how it happened, that my mom is a warrior for keeping Liss and Cam strong throughout that hour even though she felt like breaking down after seeing the man she loves go through this and wake up in the ambulance not remembering her name. I learned through the phone call I got from her as she was following the ambulance, that as strong as a person can be, you still break down & it's okay. I also was reminded that I am horrible when it comes to patience.


I wanted to get in my car and drive up there as soon as I could, but B & JD quickly reminded me that he will be getting taken to a hospital and we needed to wait before we start driving all over Utah chasing them. 

He was originally taken to the PC hospital, but transferred to the Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. JD & I rushed over there, only to wait some more for them to transfer him there. When he got there, I went in with my mom to see him in the ER. I also quickly learned that I could never work in a hospital...seeing that I almost fainted after being in there for two minutes and my mom had to hold me up and take me back out to the waiting room. 

He had hit his head so hard from the fall that the swelling and internal bleeding obviously caused serious pain. They waited to see if they would have to drill to release the pressure, but for his case, it seemed like it could potentially cause more harm than good. He jokes now that he got to know each and every floor of that building moving from the ICU, to the trauma center, and so forth. 

Once he was able to come home, since he was begging to get out of the hospital, he had to just sit in the dark with his eyes close and no sound. Nothing to keep his mind occupied, because anything that stimulated his mind was a no-no. No TV, reading, any type of screen, etc. 


Going home! Leave it to dad to smile through the pain.

Since this accident, I have had a lot of time to think about how quickly life can change, as I'm sure everyone in my family has. You never think anything is going to happen to you or someone you love, but as soon as it does, it can rock your world, but it can also help you grow if you let it. I'm not saying staying strong constantly and never wondering why, but trying your hardest to get through it the best way you possibly can.

My dad & I are very close. During one of our talks this past June he said something that I am so grateful I wrote down, or else I know I would have forgotten it, and this is something that I always want to remember. 

He said something along the line of these thoughts--that everyone wants their lives and the lives of the people they care about to go a certain way...usually away from any pain, harm, sadness, or death. That's human of us to want those things. That most all people want to live full, happy lives. He said that since his accident he's put a lot of thought into this. He realized that he has lived a full life. He has children who love him and a wife who deeply cares for him. He has worked hard to provide for the family and to serve those around him. He then said that one of his biggest hopes is that if for whatever reason he passes away or someone we hold dear passes away earlier than expected that the last thing we should do is for the people around them to use that as an excuse to turn away from God and to forget that He has and knows the ultimate plan. That that is a time to get closer to God and to turn to Him when that sorrow comes. Life is full of difficulties. Some that we feel there is no way we can bear them. But God knows our potential and our strength and can take that and build upon it IF we choose to turn to Him and be buoyed up by Him. There will be loss, financial struggles, emotional battles, death, illness, and many other obstacles that will hit us along the pathway home. But we must never forget the man who knows all, loves all, strengthens all.


Picture found on lds.org
It has definitely changed our lives since. There are daily struggles he goes through from the aftermath of that accident, but he still finds joy in the journey, time to spend with his family, time to serve his ward and also those around him, time to work hard to keep providing. 

He even sent us this picture as a one-year salute to the day we never want to relive, but made us all laugh pretty hard. Gotta protect that head daddio.


smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment